Re: Separation of protocol and information model

"Chen, Weijing" writes:
>By looking at the above pseudo code, I have feeling that what you wants is
>not really a network management protocol, but a XMLized nice file transport
>protocol

Not at all.  I want a protocol that exposes the operations my
application needs to perform to load/merge/etc a piece of configuration
into a device's configuration.  I want to be able to issue operations
as RPC calls and get results.  I want to have control over how and
when the configuration is processed.  I want to be able to load a
delta, test that the syntax and semantics of the delta are valid,
commit the delta into the running configuration, test that the
device is operating (reachability, lack of breakage, appearance of
requested feature), and either rollback the delta if something's
gone wrong or make the change permanent.

Transfering the delta is a small piece.  This is not a file transfer
protocol at all. It's an API to the device's CLI.  Please read the
Junoscript docs on www.juniper.net/support/junoscript to see what
I have in mind. It's certainly not FTP.

Thanks,
 Phil