RE: Separation of protocol and information model

> My thinking is that the piece of code that generates a configuration
> dataset or delta is typically far removed from the piece of code that
> places that config onto the device, tests and commits it, something
> like:
>
>     foreach impacted device
>         make the config delta for that device;
>     foreach impacted device
>         lock the device;
>     foreach impacted device
>         upload the delta;
>     foreach impacted device
>         load the config into the running config;
>     foreach impacted device
>         test the new configuration;
>     foreach impacted device {
>         make the change permanent;
>         unlock the device;
>     }
>
> The capabilities affect what each stage of this pipeline does, but
> not the nature of the work being performed. The content of the delta
> may affect the desired test, but not the rest of the logic.

By looking at the above pseudo code, I have feeling that what you wants is
not really a network management protocol, but a XMLized nice file transport
protocol (a.l.a FTP/TFTP with basic transaction control).  If this is what
the NETCONF WG wants to do, then it should state this clearly to avoid
confusing network management folks.

--

Weijing Chen