RE: I-D draft-weijing-netconf-interface-01.txt

> Given that I've got code that generates text from the internal database
> and
> that the application wants text, why would I want to go thru the process
> of
> making sham xml that the application will have to decode and reconstruct?
> Text configuration is very useful and I don't see the need for it
> disappearing
> overnight.

The difference is about where the optional configuration information
resides.  See the following examples:
In WG I-D, we use:
        <get-config>
           <source>
             <running/>
           </source>
           <config xmlns="http://example.com/schema/1.2/config";>
             <users/>
           </config>
           <format>text</format>
         </get-config>
to get "text" version of configuration data.  Now what if the device does
not support the text, only XML, what is the response?  In our approach,
whether device support "text" version of configuration data is totally
depended on the schema it supports.  If the device data model schema contain
"text" element, then it supports "text", otherwise no.  It is loud and clear
to managing system by looking at the data model schema.  See the example we
propose:
        <get-config>
           <config xmlns="http://example.com/schema/1.2/config";>
             <running>
               <text>
                 <users/>
               </text>
             </running>
           </config>
         </get-config>

Now if the schema "http://example.com/schema/1.2/config"; support the "text"
version, it will give you the "text".  If not, the XML validator will reject
the request right way.

It again boils down to where the configuration information should reside:
protocol or data model?

--

Weijing Chen