beep, soap, ssh, the world, and everything

I wish I could have attended Vienna, but the timing was just bad. I'd like to provide my view on two points that were discussed at the WG meeting.

First, I'd like to reiterate my position that you need to have at least one mandatory transport mapping. Without at least one mandatory mapping it is possible that one developer will implement one mapping and another will implement a different one, and the two will not interoperate. Having a minimal level of interoperability is a good thing. We largely have it today in the forms of telnet and ssh.

This is not to say that there can be only one mapping. Indeed we might want to mandate more than one mapping, for all I know.

Second, my understanding is that if there were to be only one, people were leaning towards SSH. I prefer BEEP. Rather than debate the point, I'd like to discuss requirements for a moment.

1. As a matter of requirements we find it useful to extend the traditional management model such that the agent connects to the manager instead of the other way around. This is beneficial to the manager in as much as the manager needn't continually attempt to connect to a device that is intermittantly connected, or where other than configuration management is required.

It is also beneficial to turn the connection around in order to be able to transit firewalls and NATs, some of which may not be in the same administrative domain.

2. Any mechanism that uses character processing is inefficient from a non-interactive point of view. We are debating a configuration protocol, which by its nature is non-interactive. We should take this into account in a protocol decision.

3. Whatever protocol we choose it should not be possible for spurious irrelevant messages that our beyond the bounds of the protocol to be sent. This includes banners, usernmame/password prompts, configurable host prompts, and (God help us) unsolicited messages such as SYSLOG messages configured on a VTY. All of these things can break configuration mechanisms.

4. Whatever protocol we choose should utilize standard authentication mechanisms and should tie into common EXISTING authentication infrastructures. Similarly, the protocol should provide for confidentiality.

5. Authorization needn't be addressed at the transport mapping level in ways other than "Permission Denied". I will assert this until someone can demonstrate a common counterpoint.

While multi-channel support is nice, it's not entirely necessary. While it would be nice to leverage existing tools, we should only do so if the those tools address the above issues.

Eliot