RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-weijing-netconf-interface-00.txt

At 06:24 AM 7/8/2003, Allen, Keith wrote:

>[...]
>
>Keith> I think we would agree with you (not sure if the lock and
>Keith> unlock are strictly needed as primitives).  I think the
>Keith> challenge, though, is how to do this with the assumption that
>Keith> XML schema will be used to define the "objects."

>Juergen> I do not see why XML schema is different than ASN.1 or any other
>Juergen> data definition language in this regard.
>
>Juergen> /js
>
>The challenge is defining *objects* with a "data definition language," as
>opposed to an object definition language.

This point is not very clear at all.  Do you have any examples
of 'objects' that cannot be defined with an XSD?  What are
you proposing netconf uses for defining data models?  Note that
this is somewhat outside the scope of the WG.  We will use
XML Schema to define the netconf protocol syntax, but this
does not mean that all data models will be defined that way.
However, we can make use of valid XML constructs, and expect
that any reasonable data modeling language will support them.

>Keith Allen
>SBC Labs
>9505 Arboretum Blvd.
>Austin, TX 78759