RE: Is beep really what operators would want?

"read and understand" is one thing. "write and invoke" is another.
Assuming appropriate logging such that the command flow can be made
visible to the operator, reading and understanding a captured exchange
between client and server is adequately addressed by XML, IMO. It is
textual, and can be deciphered by a human. The fact the BEEP header
might also be captured is of little consequence -- the human can pretty
much ignore it and concentrate on the meaty stuff between the <rpc> and
</rpc>.

But it is a different matter to manually create (from scratch or via
cut&paste) a valid, perfect-to-the-letter XML rpc invocation, plus the
BEEP header, and try and "play computer" with the other end of a live
RPC connection.

Several folks who've responded to this thread have convinced me that, in
dire situations, a "netconf XML/BEEP debugger" might be useful
("nxbdbg", anyone?:). But if that is not sufficient, and we need to come
up with a protocol that inherently and easily permits human operators to
become first-class participants, then *neither* BEEP *or* XML are good
choices.

My $.02...

Regards,
    -k