Re: Is beep really what operators would want?

Wes> My real question was: are all the operators happy with the above
Wes> notion of connecting to a device (IE, you must have a front end
Wes> connection program which is *not* telnet or ssh) in order to do
Wes> your minimal cut-n-paste type examples.  I'd argue for "yes" its
Wes> sufficient but I wasn't sure everyone else agreed with myself or
Wes> the protocol designers and was looking for other opinions.

In good old SNMP days, there were several SNMP extensions for various
well known scripting languages with the idea that people do not have
to know human unfriendly things such BER encodings or OIDs. Still,
operators told us that they do not trust these tools and want to be
able to read and understand the messages if things do not work as
expected.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany