Re: netconf and SNMP evolution?

At 01:27 PM 6/16/2003, Bobby Krupczak wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I've read through the charter and am just joining the list/group and
>am now starting to pour over the netconf draft(s).
>
>Has this group formalized any kind of relationship to work on SNMP
>evolution?

There is no work on SNMP evolution. The EOS and SMING WGs
have been terminated.

>What caught my eye was the notion of using the XML conf stuff to send
>"async notifications".  With a tad more generalization, one could more
>explicitly make this work be suitable for configuration data and
>management data (e.g. performance, status, etc.).

There is strong desire not to generalize the netconf protocol
so it attempts to address every aspect of network management,
especially in version 1.  Notifications are a secondary
feature in netconf, and if the WG cannot agree on how to
support them, then they will get dropped.  In any case,
the netconf protocol will focus on a generic mechanism
to deliver asynchronous messages, without regard for
the notification content.

>Presumably, with the overlap (e.g. Dave, Andy, Bert) in membership
>between this work and the SNMP community, one would think this
>accomplishable.

The work in the SNMP community (if there is any) doesn't
have much impact on the netconf WG, since netconf is not
intended to be a replacement for SNMP.

>Bobby

Andy