Re: netconf relationship to epp

At 08:36 AM 6/3/2003, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

>The Extensible Provisioning Protocol (<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-09.txt>
>and associated documents) was just approved as Proposed Standard. Is
>someone on this list familiar with EPP and can he/she explain to what
>extend EPP overlaps with netconf charter items and the proposal under
>consideration by netconf?

I just read the Extensible Provisioning Protocol draft and it
is very well done.  I urge the netconf WG members to read it
and consider areas of overlap, and what kind of alignment
the netconf protocol should have with epp.

The session startup, capabilities discovery, and protocol
operations seem to be close to what netconf is considering,
as well as the message processing and error responses.

Some differences:

The explicit candidate, running and startup config databases,
and related commands like commit are very important to model
the operational environment of real devices.

Other high-level operations such as checkpoint, rollback,
and locking are also important.  The netconf protocol
must provide support for multi-device transactions,
as well as multi-user transaction integrity on a single device.

There is also the likelihood that netconf will adopt some
form of operations-as-attributes in order to more precisely
identify and scope config changes.  (I'm still concerned about
forcing the device to validate arbitrarily complex commands, but
maybe some restrictions can be imposed to simplify things.)

>/js

Andy