Thoughts on NetConf Requirements

With a request from various folks at NANOG for operational input to the WG/drafts, I'll bite:

The bottom line for me is that I'm interested in a mechanism that can eliminate screen-scraping and provide reliable ways of issuing commands, changing the config, and retrieving data from network boxes. I want to be able to send commands that bring in new firmware, change the configuration, and collect the output from reporting commands.

Certainly it appears that something xml based is the right way to go. I have two intertwined concerns though: complexity and transport.

I don't believe that the document should mandate requirements about the underlying transport, and I believe that it should be possible to use the netconf protocol over a "raw" connection.

Specifically, I can envision connecting to a device via ssh, issuing a command ('xmlconf') and then sending and receiving the commands/configuration/statistics. Obviously this would most often be done via an automated mechanism, but making it possible for someone with a terminal to use the protocol would seem to have merit. I don't see how requiring multiple channels would be possible in this case.

This wouldn't preclude transport mechanisms that do not involve first using an existing CLI, or multi-channel support for better control, but otherwise I'm not clear how transports such as consoles could be used by the protocol. Making it possible to reuse existing raw transports would seem to make the protocol useful in a wider array of contexts. (For example: configuration of a standalone server.)

-Kevin