RE: do we need filtering or some such

Scott Lawrence writes:

> It seems to me that naming and other selection operations are
> inextricably bound to the data model of the managed element.  For
> example, I don't see how we could define a single naming scheme that
> would encompass both an XML data representation and a CLI script.

Certainly, though, for XML you can define a single naming scheme since XML
files have formats that are defined.  I know, XML files can vary greatly,
but they are all still a set of elements possibly nested within other
elements, and with some attributes.  The purpose before us is to define a
mechanism to allow us to remotely modify, by using XML-formatted messages,
the contents of an information base that may or may not be formatted with
XML.

If the information base is XML-formatted, let's go ahead and define a way to
identify the XML elements and attributes we want our operations to affect.
Better yet, use the mechanism someone else has already defined to do that.
Or, if we think that will be too hard to implement, we could take the
mechanism someone else has already defined and dumb it down a bit by
defining only a subset of capabilities that must be implemented.

If the information base is not XML-formatted, we'll have a way to opt-out of
the naming scheme by, for example, identify that all cli-type operations are
applied to the root of the naming tree and enclosed within <cli></cli> tags
or such.

Keith Allen
SBC Labs
9505 Arboretum Blvd.