Re: Explicit and unique naming of configuration target

Hi Larry,

At 03:23 PM 5/22/2003 -0400, Larry Menten wrote:
Consequently, a request to add, for example, an MD5 key to what
you intend to be an existing interface instance within an OSPF area might
end up causing the creation of an OSPF instance, the creation of
an OSPF area, and the creation of an OSPF interface instance, and
the creation of the desired MD5 key.  There is no way to express that
you only wish to create an MD5 key and you will not know
from the response that instead of a simple operation you have executed
a complex one.  I believe that characteristics  like these are undesireable.
In your example above, I don't understand how it could
be valid to add an MD5 key to an OSPF instance that doesn't
exist...

Some implementations really do have nested data structures
where a higher-level data structure must exist in order for
a lower-level datastructure to exist... Or at least, in
order for the lower-level datastructure to be attached
anywhere that would affect configuration.

If the datastructures aren't nested in this fashion, then
it probably wouldn't make sense to nest them this way in
the XML schema for the device.

Margaret