Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

As the draft is currently expressed, locking is required to avoid
deleting someone else's "add interface" operation while you do a
"delete interface" operation on the same ospf area.
Not so. The draft as currently expressed is neutral on the entire subject, and as there are implementations that do not lock anything, there is as of yet no agreement on how to express locking, due in part to a lack of standard schema, we would be left with one big mondo lock. Want that?

You cannot tell from reading an transaction expressed per your draft
whether the purpose of the operation is to create an entire area
configuration, complete with fully configured interface instances,
or simply to delete a single interface instance. Very odd.
That's true in as far as you say, but since there is no standard schema in the draft -- BY DESIGN -- your comment is a non-sequitor.

The whole point of the draft was to be schema-neutral. The reason is that no standard schema will come into creation in a short period of time, but means to move existing configurations are needed today. There is nothing to stop a standard schema from using this mechanism, there is nothing hinging on it either.

Eliot
ps: I have not been receiving *any* netconf mail for over a month now. The problem is still not fixed, so I am playing catch-up on the mailing list.