RE: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Scott Lawrence wrote:

> I'm not sure that I understood your intent in this note.  Did you mean
> to say "identifying the operation type as _an_attribute_ in the
> element"?

> Your example seemed to perform selection using an attribute defined as
> a part of the netcof schema (the 'select' attribute of the 'operation'
> element), but the operation type as an attribute in the data model.
> If those two are to be separated, that seems backwards to me.

That is what I meant.  I thought it was backwards at first, too.  Or at
least sideways.  I originally thought both the selection and the operation
type belonged in the 'operation' element.  I now think, though, that putting
the operation type with the element makes sense.  If you think about it,
it's really more object-oriented.  Every object-oriented system I know of
identifies an object in some standard way (pointer, reference, IOR, etc.)
but the operation types (methods) that may be performed on that object are
determined by the object's definition.

If we do it this way, the operations that may be performed on an XML element
are defined with the element.  Perhaps some elements are read only, so the
opType would be restricted to "read" for that element type.  One advantage
of doing it this was is that validating the element (including the opType
attribute) against the schema would catch illegal operations.

I was hung up on what the device would assign as the value of this attribute
when the device responed, or if you did a config file dump.  It doesn't
really matter, though.  The simplest approach would probably be to just make
the attribute optional and define a default value.  I suggest "write."
Then, the device could just leave it out when it responded.  If you did a
dump and then later wrote the contents back to the device, it would all be
written.

One thing I'm not sure about is if a group like this should try to define
all the possible opTypes, or to just leave the definition of the opTypes up
to the individual information model developers.

Keith Allen
SBC Technology Resources
9505 Arboretum Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759