Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Randy Presuhn wrote:

Hi -

From: "Larry Menten" <lmenten@lucent.com>
To: "netconf" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

To my mind, it would be a shame to force configuration to take place
through an
element manager that hosts a complete master copy of the config. That
doesn't
work for small device management where the master copy is considered to
be the
copy in the device. It also makes management fragile in environments
where the
cli will occasionally be used to modify the device configuration.

In my opinion, the protocol should accommodate both models well. The
overlay/merge/replace document operation model does not.

Just to be clear: distinguishing the "definitive" configuration from that of
the device (or network) does *not* require hosting it on an element
manager. It could be somewhere else entirely, and all the element
manager would do would be to tell the device to update itself, perhaps
by sending it the configuration's URL.

Randy

The problem is the same.  It does not accommodate SOHO management.

Larry Menten Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA