RE: netconf WG charter proposal

At 04:56 PM 4/5/2003 -0700, John Strassner wrote:

>I agree with Juergen's first three comments - remove "robust transaction model" and replace with his rewording, remove the RPC statement, and reword the data representation statement.
>
>Regarding the following:
>
>Andy>   - Provides support for multi-device configuration transactions
>Andy>     (with locking and rollback capability)
>
>Why is this just "multi-device"? Clearly, there are operations on a single device (even a single interface) that take some time to setup and perform, so simply blasting a set of commands down to an interface won't always work.

Could you suggest some text to add to the charter?
I agree there are some single box transaction requirements,
like the ability to validate config before applying it, or
applying all the commands or none of them.

>Regarding the following:
>
>Andy>    - XML namespace conventions
>Andy>    - XML usage guidelines
>
>First, I agree with Juergen - the charter should state that XML will be used up front. Second, while XML namespace conventions are in general a Good Thing, they were left somewhat broken in the 99 issue of the namespace Recommendation of the W3C because DTDs (among other things) were also broken. For example, validation of namespaces is problematic, though it is being worked on by the XML Schema WG. So, I have two questions. First, how up-to-date do you want this charter to be? In other words, is the W3C namespace recommendation from 99 "good enough", or do you want to try and use newer work? Second, what do you mean by "XML usage guidelines"?

Look at rev B of the charter proposal. I added text.
XML usage guidelines seems to be controversial.  There
are features in the XML spec that are not likely to be
supported on embedded network devices.  The XMLCONF draft
suggests we restrict our usage of XML to Canonical XML
defined in RFC 3076.  (This is not what the charter says BTW)

>Andy> Although it should be possible to transport the Netconf protocol
>Andy> using several different protocols, the group will initially define
>Andy> a mapping for the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol
>Andy> (BEEP) [RFC 3080]. Future work may standardize other transport
>Andy> mappings.
>
>I agree with Juergen, why is this being done?

The XMLCONF design team looked at several choices and
decided BEEP was the best one to use.  I'll ask you
the same question I asked Juergen.  If you don't want
to use BEEP then what should we use instead?  This isn't
a rhetorical or abstract question.  Suggest a real protocol
to use instead.

>regards,
>John

Andy