Re: Charter items

On Friday, Mar 28, 2003, at 17:21 America/Montreal, Ron Bonica wrote:
If we were to standardize a few small chunks of configuration and state
information, we could convince ourselves that the worst problems can be
solved within the context of XMLCONF. I'm not saying that this working group
should translate every MIB ever developed by the IETF. Maybe we should limit
the effort to codifying the configuration and state data that currently
resides in the MIB-II ifTable. It should also document best practices for
defining XML configuration and state data.
Ron,

In my mind, it isn't a question of what to do, so much as a question
of what to work on first. I'd prefer to work on how to move opaque config
blobs around first, which gets rid of screen scraping, then move on to
other stuff (in my mind, "other stuff" is pretty open-ended at this point).

From the above, I gather you prefer to work on everything at once.
My own past experience is that IETF WGs are not at all successful when
a WG tries to work on more than one thing at a time. It sounds like
your mileage might vary from mine.

Reasonable people might well reach different conclusions on
this topic.

Cheers,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com