Re: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

HI,

Sorry Andy about the over simplification in my message, I should have
included the important aspect of the operations, which are one
of the attributes that distinguish the proposal from other management protocols.

At 11:44 AM 3/24/2003 -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:
>At 11:28 AM 3/24/2003 -0800, David T. Perkins wrote:
>>HI,
>>
>>In listening to the reactions to the NETCONF BOF, it seems like
>>many people are skipping ahead instead of taking time to appreciate
>>the first goal. A short description of it is the following from
>>Ran...
>>"move vendor-proprietary blobs of configuration data around using
>>a common convention for transmission over the wire",
>>
>>This seems too simple, to be important, but it has been a stumbling
>>block and a source of extra cost in managing devices. The NETCONF
>>proposal starts with it and lays down the foundation for a new
>>standard way of managing network devices.
>
>It's not just the transmission of configuration data over the wire.
>The proposal includes standard operations on configuration datastores,
>such as locking, validation, checkpoint and rollback, etc.
>The blobs of configuration data may be proprietary or standard,
>or even a mixture of both.
>
>There has already been some excellent work done to convert a MIB to an XSD,
>which should be very useful for leveraging standard MIB object definitions.
>Check out the smidump program, which is part of the libSMI library:
>http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/
>

>Andy
Regards,
/david t. perkins