Re: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

On Sunday, Mar 23, 2003, at 19:03 America/Montreal, Faye Ly wrote:
Very good point but are we going to say that the scope of the XML conf
will cover such configuration? At the same time we seem to try to avoid
the telephone networks and possibly the wireless network equipment
configuration?
I think we are trying to use NetConf's work to provide tools to facilitate
configuration management of IP-based network devices. If the toaster is
primarily an IP device, then I think it is in scope. If the toaster is
primarily an ATM device, then I think it is out of scope. It is possible
that the work here would be general enough to solve part of the ATM device's
issues as well, but such would not be the focus of the work (in my own view).

So managing telco equipment (e.g. physical layer devices such as ATM/PON)
is not the focus of the effort. Managing an Internet toaster might be.
Managing an IP-router or an IP-centric Ethernet switch definitely is
in scope, IMHO.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com