RE: Goals for netconf - moving towards the charter description

Eliot,

I looked at my previous email and thought it was really not addressing
your questions.  I think I am also suffering from being too general and
too brief to the degree where point is not clearly made.  I apologize
for that.

Regarding power management and environment control system, the later is
a temperature control system?  If you would let me assume so, then they
both involve the following:

1. Inventory configuration management

2. Fault configuration management (threshold etc)

3. Other configuration that involves testing/diagnostic configuration
and monitoring.  The monitoring part is clearly out of scope for netconf
so I won't go there.  The testing/diagnostic were placed under fault
configuration in my original email but I might be totally wrong. If you
will share your experience with us, I will be more than happy to learn.

Video recorder is really not a network device (Unless you are referring
to video recorder over the network as an appliance?  Then it is really
categorized as user traffic configuration).

I am not sure what kind of physical security device you are referring
to?  Please clarify.  Is this the box that sits in front of the PC to
ensure data secrecy?  Isn't the configuration of such a device falls
right into inventory and security configuration?

But anyway, when I went into this lengthy discussion on the
configuration categories.  I am really trying to make sure the protocol
is not missing out on any categories.  And also not to be carried away
to think that this protocol will address all the network management
issues existed today.  The protocol will address certain urgent issue
such as replacing the scripting pain and file management head-ache.  The
narrow the scope the easier netconf will succeed.  At the same time a
sanity check is necessary to make sure the protocol is not too general
that it missed some configuration categories that are necessary to
completely address the configuration needs.

What is your thought on this?

-faye