RE: IETF & this list

At 10:02 AM 1/11/2003 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> it would seem hard to explain this position in light of the
>>> discussions on problem-statement, where i interpret non-trivial
>>> sentiment against AD-driven architecture.
>> I didn't say the ADs should write the RFCs.  The ADs should
>> put a process in motion (e.g., charter a WG) to do that.
>
>we tend not to start wgs without active discussion of serious
>drafts.  maybe i am missing something, but i don't see those
>things yet.
>
>what we really don't like to do, and public consensus would seem
>to support it, is to charter wgs which do not have clear goals, a
>technical overview, a roadmap, etc.  again, maybe i am missing
>something, but i don't see those things yet.

fair enough. You want to see a solution proposal.

>> I think a lot of specific issues have been identified as a
>> result of the OPS roadshow and IAB NM workshop meetings.
>
>agreed.  but issues do not a wg, protocol, ... make.
>
>> why not replace proprietary screen-scraping CLI scripts with a
>> protocol providing a better programmatic API?
>
>please be more specific.  e.g., are you suggesting standardizing
>the syntax and/or semantics of configuring devices?  are you
>suggesting a vendor-independent model of middle transformation
>layer?

I'm suggesting some of both.  The semantics and syntax of
interactions with a device can be standardized, independent
of the data model used.  This includes a vendor-independent
model of the operational framework.  Hopefully, the I-D will
provide enough details, because I don't want to elaborate in
an email.

>>> talk is cheap, send vision.
>> Some of us are working on just that, but the I-D isn't done yet.
>
>cool!  i, for one, eagerly await the result.

thanks. Hopefully there will be running code soon as well.

>randy

Andy