From: Andy Bierman [mailto:abierman@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 7:18 PM
To: Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Cc: RJ Atkinson; xmlconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: IETF & this list

At 01:02 AM 1/11/2003 +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>> AFAIK, neither OPS AD has made any official announcement regarding
>> an XMLCONF WG.  I think the only decision made wrt/ the XMLCONF BOF
>> was to start a mailing list and discuss the issues further.
>>

>The original BOF was not tasked to be a prelude to a WG or to see
>if a WG was needed. It was to discuss and survey what sort of
>things people are/were doing with XML in the area of configuring
>devices and to try and see if XML was/is doing a much better job
>in that space than anything we currently do.
>
>Some people came with requests for various WGs afterwards, for
>which we have not yet considered one as a serious candidate.
>
>I have been asking for a proposed charter, I think Randy has
>send us one that looked kind of OK, but we want more discussion
>on it and a better "problem statement and vision of how to go
>aboiut solving the problem". I'd have to go and reread Andy's
>proposal...  but as far as I recall it did not address that well
>enough yet.

This is not an entirely fair characterization of the STDCONF WG
charter proposal I sent to this list on 9/25/02.  I was asked
by Randy Bush to write up a charter proposal that focused on
moving us forward.  I proposed a WG or design team that would
spend 3 - 6 months establishing a development plan to address
Operator Requirements.

More than 3 months has gone by and no plan has been started.
One of the operator concerns is that the IETF doesn't work
fast enough, so NM solutions arrive too late to help...

>In the meanwhile, this list can off course discuss aspects of
>using XML for configuration or about possible requirements for
>configuration.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Bert

Andy