Re: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

"Chen, Weijing" writes:
>[Chen, Weijing] I had wished that architecture you mentioned would happen
>for 10 years.  Unfortunately, none of the vendors we have talked/worked are
>doing that.

JUNOS has it. When features appear in the CLI, they are immediately
available in the JUNOScript XML API. The CLI essentially functions
as a tty-oriented XML renderer. Everything you see (or do) in the
CLI is using XML directly under the covers. See the example below.

>But if we are carefully with
>sober mind, we may make a step further toward the goal.

Please have a look at draft-shafer-js-xml-api-00.txt and see
if this is the sort of direction you have in mind.

Thanks,
 Phil

(The "|display xml" filter stops the CLI from rendering the XML
so you can see the raw content)

root@dent> show interfaces ge-2/0/0 media brief
Physical interface: ge-2/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, Speed: 1000mbps, Loopback: Disabled,
  Source filtering: Disabled, Flow control: Enabled
  Device flags   : Present Running
  Interface flags: SNMP-Traps
  Link flags     : None

root@dent> show interfaces ge-2/0/0 media brief | display xml
<rpc-reply xmlns:junos="http://xml.juniper.net/junos/5.6I0/junos";>
    <interface-information xmlns="http://xml.juniper.net/junos/5.6I0/junos-interface"; junos:style="brief">
        <physical-interface>
            <name>ge-2/0/0</name>
            <admin-status junos:format="Enabled">up</admin-status>
            <oper-status>up</oper-status>
            <link-level-type>Ethernet</link-level-type>
            <mtu>1514</mtu>
            <source-filtering>disabled</source-filtering>
            <speed>1000mbps</speed>
            <loopback>disabled</loopback>
            <if-flow-control>enabled</if-flow-control>
            <if-device-flags>
                <ifdf-present/>
                <ifdf-running/>
            </if-device-flags>