RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Title: RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

All,

When I talk to the developers of our NMSs, they say that their toughest issues deal with differences in semantics among the devices we have to manage, not the syntax or protocol used to access the data.

If this group does manage to get the industry moving towards a single management protocol, it would be a step forward, but not a big one.  Still, if that’s all we can get, we’ll take it.  I think we should make it clear that this is the strategy or scope of the group, though.

Based on some of the discussion I’ve seen here it seems that if this group is successful then to manage a device we would go from using IPDR, SNMP, syslog with proprietary messages, ftp of proprietary-formatted performance management data, and proprietary CLI to IPDR, SNMP, syslog with proprietary messages, ftp of proprietary-formatted performance management data, and XML with a proprietary information model.  It brings to mind an Eastern proverb about a journey of 1000 miles beginning with a single step.

The main argument here seems to be how big that first step should be.  I can’t fault John Strassner for wanting to take a bigger step.  We (SBC) would support taking that bigger step, but if the industry won’t accept it from the start it will just be a waste of time.

Given the inability of the industry to support standards in this area, we here at SBC are beginning to talk about other ways of easing the difficulty of integrating new equipment with our management systems.  We are thinking of basically making the management interface provided by our first supplier of some type of network element our de facto standard.  So, if Vendor A is the first to sell us an Ethernet switch, for example, then our contract with Vendor A would require them to share their management interface specification with us free of intellectual property rights.  If we subsequently sought a second supplier for Ethernet switches, that supplier would have to support Vendor A’s management interface.  So, I hope it is indeed easy to do information model translations with XSLT.  If you’re an equipment supplier, in the future you may be forced to do so to make a sale.

Keith Allen

SBC Technology Resources

9505 Arboretum Blvd.

Austin, TX 78759