RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

HI,

david.durham@intel.com on the below, I respectively disagree with
your statements in the most extreme! Multiple reasons, due to
multiple problems.
1) "XML presents a bit of a paradigm shift" - no, don't think so.
   there is nothing new about XML
2) There is no way that XML translates between models. No way!
3) you want the WG to do the "trivial" stuff of selecting the
   syntax. little gain.
4) there is no way that WGs in isolation can work out model problems
   that affect other models. if you do, then you need the "universal
   adapter" as seen on recent IBM commercials.

At 09:55 AM 1/7/2003 -0800, Durham, David wrote:
>I think we need to keep in mind that XML presents a bit of a paradigm
>shift from what we have known. Yes, common models are important, but
>they are almost always too late for companies and, thus, incompatible
>with the vast majority of products when completed. It just takes too
>long to get them standardized via the process of compromise, and even
>longer to get them right.
>
>What XML offers is a large set of tools that allow translation between
>different vendor's models. These models can be developed independently
>around a specific technology, and, if deployed using XML, can still be
>made to interoperate where there is commonality.
>
>So your schema can define "<IntFace> UP </IntFace>" and mine can define
>"<Interface> ON </Interface>" and XSLT can be used to translate between
>these. Or, better yet, when a standard is completed, vendors can easily
>provide translations from it to their existing models.
>
>IMHO, this group should focus on determining which XML schema definition
>language IETF wgs will use, define the basic reusable data types useful
>across IETF wgs, define the operational model for XML transactions, and
>select a common transport. Just get the foundation in place & let the
>models work themselves out over time in individual wgs and let XSLT be
>the glue between the early products and late standards.
>
>-Dave
Regards,
/david t. perkins