RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

I think we need to keep in mind that XML presents a bit of a paradigm
shift from what we have known. Yes, common models are important, but
they are almost always too late for companies and, thus, incompatible
with the vast majority of products when completed. It just takes too
long to get them standardized via the process of compromise, and even
longer to get them right.

What XML offers is a large set of tools that allow translation between
different vendor's models. These models can be developed independently
around a specific technology, and, if deployed using XML, can still be
made to interoperate where there is commonality.

So your schema can define "<IntFace> UP </IntFace>" and mine can define
"<Interface> ON </Interface>" and XSLT can be used to translate between
these. Or, better yet, when a standard is completed, vendors can easily
provide translations from it to their existing models.

IMHO, this group should focus on determining which XML schema definition
language IETF wgs will use, define the basic reusable data types useful
across IETF wgs, define the operational model for XML transactions, and
select a common transport. Just get the foundation in place & let the
models work themselves out over time in individual wgs and let XSLT be
the glue between the early products and late standards.

-Dave