From: owner-xmlconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-xmlconf@ops.ietf.org]On
Behalf Of Faye Ly
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 6:36 PM
To: Andrea Westerinen; Wijnen, Bert (Bert); Xmlconf (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Andrea,

Thank you for the information.  I went to dmtf.org and checked out the
CIM specification.  I am specifically looking for the following
information:

How do I provision a DSL subscriber?
<arw> The DSL model has some basic elements defined by Cisco, but is still
work in progress in the Networks WG.  In terms of the model hierarchy, the
DSL endpoints are subclasses of CIM_ProtocolEndpoint in the Network Model.
A subscriber is an instance of an OrganizationalEntity in the User Model
today.  But there is work going on in this space also, that decouples
identity from organizational white pages info.  So, in the next release
(V2.8 - 2Q2003), there will be a CIM_EstablishedIdentity (or some similar
name) - where the DSL subscriber would be an instance of EstablishedIdentity
(where the subscriber ID establishes the identity).  As regards the DSL
subscriber's "settings" that are provisioned, these are subclasses of the
CIM_Setting class.

How do I diagnose a subscriber circuit problem identified by a
subscriber id?
<arw> I am assuming that you are working this from the subscriber side -
where the subscriber indicates that they have a problem and you want to find
and debug the associated circuit.  An association ties
CIM_EstablishedIdentity with the CIM_Roles enabled by the identity - and so
the "subscriber for a circuit" can be found.  A circuit is an instance of a
CIM_Pipe, also in the Network Model.  If you are looking at the problem
because your network notified you of an issue, you can do this via
CIM_AlertIndications.  These are notifications carrying priority,
information on the element that is being reported against, and other data.
So, if there were circuit problems, these could be alerted/indicated and the
model traversed in the other direction to find the impacted subscriber.

No such luck!  Or maybe I was simply lost in the object model itself.
Is this because this is work in progress?  Can you please give me a few
more pointers?

-faye