RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

Title: RE: Perspective: XML's ticking time bomb

I don't see how CIM accomplishes this. There are no managed objects for representing fundamental constructs, such as a physical port of a device or the logical interface (or sub-interface) of a device. You claim that a protocol endpoint is an interface - but it isn't. It is a general purpose communications interface. From the Network 2.6 MOF:

// ==================================================================
//     ProtocolEndpoint
// ==================================================================
        [Description (
         "A communication point from which data may be sent or "
         "received. ProtocolEndpoints link router interfaces and "
         "switch ports to LogicalNetworks.") ]

Furthermore, there is no public CIM class to represent a device interface. So please tell me how CIM enables the developer to get from an XML representation of (for example) a change in the configuration file of a device to a model representing that change.

Finally, DTDs are useless. And WSDL is independent of XML, so I'm not sure why you even brought that up.

regards,
John

John Strassner
Chief Strategy Officer