MPLS draft-tommasi-mpls-intserv-01.txt

NAME OF I-D:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tommasi-mpls-intserv-01.txt

SUMMARY

We propose in this draft a solution which efficiently combines the
application-oriented IntServ QoS with the power of MPLS label switching,
that is it defines IntServ-like QoS services in MPLS domains. Our ID targets
the following problems:

*) Providing a user-driven MPLS QoS path setup. An application uses the
standard IntServ Reservation API  to allocate network resources. IntServ
reservation (signaled using RSVP) are then mapped at the Ingress LSR of the
MPLS domain into proper CR-LSPs.

*) Reducing the CR-LDP signalling overhead providing caching and aggregation
of CR-LSPs. Manual configuration of the signalling/bandwidth trade-off as
well as automatic load discovery mechanisms both are allowed.

The center of this solution is the MPLS Ingress LSR which acts like an
MPLS/IntServ QoS gateway.

RELATED DOCUMENTS

B. Jamoussi et al., "Constraint-Based LSP Setup using LDP", Work in
progress, draft-ietf-mpls-cr-ldp-05. August 2001.

WHERE DOES IT FIT IN THE PICTURE OF THE SUB-IP WORK

It fits in mpls. It proposes extensions to CR-LDP.

WHY IS IT TARGETED AT THIS WG

This draft defines the behaviour of an Ingress LSR and provides guidelines
for the creation a CR-LSPs according to a bandwidth/signalling trade-off.
Hence the I-D belongs to MPLS.

JUSTIFICATION

The I-D provides mechanisms for an automatic and efficient setup of CR-LSPs.
It faces with the uncovered problem of interfacing the IntServ reservations
with CR-LDP ones.
We already received positive feed-back from interested people of the WG.