Re: [idn] draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt and the author's presentation

--On Tuesday, 12 December, 2000 10:15 -0800 Hideyo Imazu
<hideyo.imazu@msdw.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I observed John Klensin's presentation at the Monday slot of
> IDN in the  IETF meeting.  I also read through the IETF Draft.
> Having said that, my interpretation of his presentation is
> "now is the  time to rethink and overhaul the current resource
> locating schemes in  which DNS has the central role."  After
> the overhaul we might end up  having a next generation DNS
> with directory like feature or some  hierarchical directory
> scheme with an innovative design concept.  Or we  might
> introduce a generic resource locating layer between
> application  and DNS.  All Internet applications including web
> and email would  eventually be based on the new resource
> locating scheme.
>
> John, is this what you really mean?  Do you have any
> particular plan to  form a BOF or WG for it?  What other IDN
> folks think?

That is, indeed, what I really meant.  Still exploring plans
--with the IESG and others-- about how to pursue this.  I'd
personally be happy to have the IDN group take it up, but I
infer from Wednesday's meeting that it will need to be done
elsewhere if at all.

Suggestions welcome.

    john