RE: [idn] VIDN

At/À 14:20 2000-12-12 -0800, Richard Barr Hibbs you wrote/vous écriviez:

> > >a) VIDN assumed that all non-English domain names are transliterated into
> > >    English for current domain names which is seriously
> > questionable. Sure,
> > >    it works for Korean, but what about other languages?
> >
> > It doesn't work for Swedish.
> >
> > Example, å _and_ ä are normally translitterated into 'a', and there
> > are two cities in Sweden named "Habo" and "Håbo" which both are
> > translitterated into "Habo".

could we then see the VIDN proposal as being an upper layer (above the dns
resolution one-to-one thing) that is in the "directory search" solution
space where one can use the vidn to possibly query a phonem-based request
and then receive one or few idn domain names and then choose one based on
the output of that search and then make the real dns request using the
to-be-chosen idn protocol?

I'm just throwing an idea that can be completly broken... don't kill me!

Marc.

>...yes, this is a definite problem, but it is much worse than that:
>
>--the VIDN proposal centered on phonetic transformation into a form that
>could be represented by the 26 characters of the roman alphabet.  Homonyms
>break this scheme almost immediately.  For example, the english word
>"flower" is "hana" in Japanese, using the common Hepburn transliteration,
>but the english word "nose" is also "hana" within the limits of the
>transliteration scheme.
>
>--transliteration schemes never quite seem to be fixed for all time.  Recall
>that the official transliteration of Chinese (Mandarin, I think) underwent a
>radical change not so many years ago:  Peking became Beijing, for example.
>
>--we must not be so arrogant as to assume that the preferred transliteration
>is to mono-case ASCII.  It would seem that if we are trying to represent
>sounds, the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) would be a better choice
>(ignoring the lack of IPA support in DNS and most computer systems.)
>

>Barr

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.