[idn] Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: "FDU - Sung Jae Shim" <sshim@mailbox.fdu.edu>
[snip]

> Sung: Back to Japanese language you used. In VIDN, for example, Japanese
> Katakana '#&*' (let's assume that '#&*' are Japanese Katakana scripts that
> are pronounced as 'hoteru' in Japanese) is converted into 'hotel' in ASCII
> format. Same for Japanese Hiragana and Kanji. Katakana is usually used for
> transliterating English and foreign scripts into Japanese scripts, while
> Hiragana is usually used for writing original Japanese scripts. Korean
> language, Hangul, does not have such luxury to accommodate English and
> foreign scripts differently from original Korean scripts. Kanji is Chinese
> scripts used in Japan. Similarly, Korean Hanja is Chinese scripts used in
> Korea.
>
> Sung: I have already done feasibility studies of VIDN with several experts
> in
> Japanese-English phonemics and linguistics, and the results show that
> Japanese language, including Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji, is much more
> straightforward in following the principles of VIDN and so converting to
and
> from English.

Katakana and hiragana are again relatively simple, at least separately.
Since they can occur in the same string, you will have to have some
mechanism for distinguishing them. When you show a *reversable* mapping for
all possible katakana, hiragana, and kanji (all 28 thousand in Unicode 3.0,
with another 40 thousand in Unicode 3.1) that preserves phonetic values,
it'll be interesting. Until then, there is little reason to continue this
discussion since we are merely talking past one another.

[snip]