[idn] prefix/suffixes in internet-draft

Some ->personal<- thoughts on prefix/suffixes in internet-drafts:

- we have many different ace proposals (more coming tomorrow)
- I think that putting a specific prefix example (bq-- or anything else) do
not add any value to the technical contribution. while this is not a
problem in general, looks like it is causing issues around it right now in
the "industry".
- we just have a new contribution on how to reserve prefixes.
- idn ace prefix for me is like a protocol number: a registry should assign
it, not the protocol author. Currently, IANA is taking that role for
protocol numbers. I don't know which organisation should do the assignment,
but certainly not the wg, not the author.
- given that "industry" seems to do early "deployment", trying to find a
prefix not currently used by regular domain names, trying to reserve one
(and then the hour after, someone reserve domain names based on this), etc.
goes no where.

My proposal:
- wg get out of prefix reservation. this is not our business. we should
defer this to some appropriate organisation (with the input of the ietf of
course)
- internet-drafts do not include any prefix examples in future revisions.
use some notation like <ace prefix> in the draft. state that an appropriate
organisation should assign the prefix when appropriate.
- if "industry" wants to do testbed, fine and useful input. But industry
use whatever they want, they can tell people/ietf/... what they are using.
But, this would be for testbed purposes inside their own domain name space.
This couldn't be refered as the "ietf standard", since with this proposal,
no prefix will be identified.

my personal non-co-chair-hat opinion,

Marc.

PS. flames accepted. ;-)))

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.