[idn] New proposal for ACE: LACE

Greetings again. Mark Davis and I have submitted a new ACE for
consideration. The reason we wrote LACE is that it is easier to
figure out than any of the other ACEs. There are no special cases and
no bit-twiddling in the compression stage. To me, the simplicity of
LACE makes it more attractive than the ACEs that maybe eke out a few
extra characters but are prone to implementation mistakes. The output
lengths are extremely similar to those of RACE, but better for names
that come from three rows and are more than 16 characters long.

Mark has a general purpose converter available at
<http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/convert.html> that includes LACE.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium