Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-cjk-00.txt

James Seng wrote:

> Can you please explain this further? How would ancient Vietnamese suffer
> because of modern Chinese?

I must stress that I don't know ancient (or modern) Vietnamese. But
consider a Chinese character which has been simplified by replacing
one of its radicals by an existing radical with fewer strokes. The
SC designers knew that this combination of radicals did not otherwise
exist in Chinese. But does it perhaps exist in ancient Vietnamese
or some other language using this script? How would we check?

> And how nameprep affect this?

It says

% Note that one of the goals of IDN is to allow the widest possible set of
% host names as long as those host names do not cause other problems, such
% as possible ambiguity. Specifically, experience with current DNS names
% have shown that there is a desire for host names that include personal
% names, company names, and spoken phrases. A goal of this section is to
% prohibit as few characters that might be used in these contexts as
% possible while making sure that characters that might easily cause
% confusion or ambiguity are prohibited.

which is very weak... so, the answer is "not really".