Re: [idn] draft-ietf-idn-requirements-04.txt (revised copy)

James Seng <James@Seng.cc> writes:

> AFAIK, only DNSSEC need the names to be sorted, and even so, it need
> not be in any particular order so long you can use it to determine
> if there is any domain in between.
>
> The only question is where this sorting occur (before/after nameprep
> and before/after transformation to UTF-8 or ACE).

DNSSEC's canonical form and order is based on _the wire format_ of
RRs.  So I think this is already defined.

I've not been following this discussion as much as I'd like, so
perhaps the question of which entity establish the canonical form is
still open.  If so, as DNSSEC uses the wire format of RRs for
security, this is a strong argument for performing IDN
canonicalisation before sending things over the wire.