Plane 14 history (Re: [idn] Internationalized PTR draft submitted)

At 09:17 19/09/2000 +0800, James Seng wrote:
> > 3. The Unicode consortium does not encourage use of the plane 14 language
> > tags. When language tagging is necessary, it should be done with a higher
> > protocol (such as xml:lang in XML, or HTTP accept-lang).
>
>As Paul told me, Plane 14 is been inserted at the request of IETF. I suppose
>there is a reason why IETF want this.

It would be more correct to say that Plane 14 was adopted by the Unicode
Consortium in reaction to a proposal in the IETF to use illegal UTF-8 codes
to encode language tags in plain text.

The Unicode consortium does not like the idea of language tags in plain
texts, but liked even less the idea that this should be done using illegal
UTF-8 sequences, so they provided an alternative.

Thus....

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94