Re: [idn] Internationalized PTR draft submitted

Rick H Wesson wrote:
> Since you have the names in utf8 just display the i18m name, of cource
> some client's users might not understand the script, but I don't think we
> need to engineer new PTR records just to solve a UI issue.

it may not be just rendering problem. it may be a case whereby you want the
most appropriate name to use. e.g. if i asked for a simplified chinese name
but they only have traditional, i am okay. i may even fall back to japanese
kanji name if either chinese is not available.

> For instance what do you do when I want the arabic representation and one
> is not available?

it will be up to the client to decide how to fall back shld the preferred
language are not available.

> let me state that I am definately opposing IPTR and all encodings that
> hint of embeding language in hostnames.

sure :-)

btw, this I-D are not about embeding language in hostnames. it is about
providing language info for client to choose which hostname to use, in PTR.
there is a slight difference. :)

james