Re: [idn] New draft: draft-ietf-idn-idna

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Keith Moore wrote:

| whichever approach is taken - to extend the zone file format or not -
| needs to be documented.
|
| (oh sorry...you do say which in section 3.  but you might want to
| point out the need  for a preprocessor to convert from local form
| to nameprepped-RACEd form.)

  I would guess that an initial implementation would just have an overlay
preprocessor and could be easily implemented with a 'make'-mediated
process (or something similar).  That's probably easier (faster) than
modifying BIND or other implementations to do the nameprep/ACE
transformations internally.

  I could see a simple naming convention and process that did something
like:

IDN_PREPROCESSOR = '/usr/local/bin/idnprep'
FILES := $(patsubst %.idn,%.zone,$(wildcard *.idn))

%.zone : %.idn
    $(IDN_PREPROCESSOR) $< $< > $@

all : $(FILES)

  But I'm not sure the I-D or RFC should specify much about the
implementation.

  In terms of label RFC-1035 compliance validation, most implementations
do that now, don't they (e.g. BIND 'check-names' options/zone directive)?

  -brian