Re: [idn] IDNRA comments

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Patrik Fältström wrote:

| Keith found the same problem when he pointed out one of the advantages
| with the IDNRA proposals (from my point of view) and that is that the
| ACE encoded domainname is not only sent from the resolver in the DNS
| packages, but also used by the applications in the protocols. That
| means that an application have to be able to do nameprepping.

  Does anyone have any sense of what the ratio is between applications
that are doing simple get{host|node}by{name|addr} vs. more direct
execution of DNS queries and response handling?  The resolver-based ACE
approach is compelling because it requires only modest changes to the
installed based of applications, but this is only true if those
applications actually use the resolver interface.

  -bws