RE: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

Ran:

At 08:46 AM 8/27/00 -0400, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>At 20:58 26/08/00, J. William Semich wrote:

>>2. It [the IETF] has actually set a standard for (or has put on a
standards track)
>>UTF-8 itself under RFC 2279.
>
>Not quite.

Yes, quite exactly. RFC 2279 is a standard (or standards track document)
which specifically defines a standard for UTF-8, including versioning
information. The information in section 5 doesn't change that.  AFAIK, the
final language of the RFC will function as the IETF standard for UTF-8
implementations, period.

Here's the abstract for RFC 2279:

Abstract

   ISO/IEC 10646-1 defines a multi-octet character set called the
   Universal Character Set (UCS) which encompasses most of the world's
   writing systems. Multi-octet characters, however, are not compatible
   with many current applications and protocols, and this has led to the
   development of a few so-called UCS transformation formats (UTF), each
   with different characteristics.  UTF-8, the object of this memo, has
   the characteristic of preserving the full US-ASCII range, providing
   compatibility with file systems, parsers and other software that rely
   on US-ASCII values but are transparent to other values. This memo
   updates and replaces RFC 2044, in particular addressing the question
   of versions of the relevant standards.

Again, you are missing the point of my statement. There's nothing
"political/social/non-technical" about it.

So I'll restate it: An IETF standards track memo for the UTF-8 CES exists.
None exists for ACE.

That is my only point. Pretty simple.

Need a CES which is on an IETF standards track? Read RFC 2279.

Let's move on <smile>.

Bill Semich