From: Patrik Fältström [mailto:paf@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 8:23 AM
To: Hollenbeck, Scott; idn@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

At 07.11 -0400 00-08-25, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>We fully intend to keep the test bed in synch with this group's efforts.
If
>something other than RACE encoding is what eventually becomes a proposed
>standard, we'll change the test bed to keep up.

The problem is definitly not the encoding. The problem has to do with
the question of what is "equal".

Today "foo.com" and "FOO.com" are equal.

For international domainnames, the IDN wg is not even close to know
what is equal or not, so it will most certainly be a risk for anyone
deploying internationalized domainnames.

I.e. if users A and B register two domainnames which today according
to whatever rules are _NOT_ equal, and the IDN wg decide that they
later should be treated as the same. Do you, Scott, call A or B and
tell that user that he can no longer have his domainname? Which one
do you call?

    paf