Re: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

At 16:22 24/08/2000 -0700, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>Multilingual Certification Evaluation
>
>Each registrar must successfully complete a multilingual certification
>evaluation for each language encoding in which it will be registering names.
>After completing certification testing, the registrar will receive
>authorization to act as a multilingual registrar.  OT&E Certification
>Testing is scheduled to begin in October 2000.

With my rosy glasses on, I would read this as saying that if you offer to
register names using mechanisms tailored towards users from a single
language group (such as providing Web pages in Chinese), you should prove
that you actually have someone who can understand the issues with Chinese
characters (such as simplified-traditional equivalences) before starting
registrations.

This may help registrars be able to understand when they have gotten
themselves into trouble - which is probably the purpose of the testbed.

*We* have to get our work done.

                   Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com