Re: [idn] UTC feedback

> > >presumably, in those languages, you would not register the different
> > >spellings of a label (with and without accents) - you would only
> > >register the correct spelling.
> >
> > Again, DNS is global, not local. IDNs are not defined such that
> > anyone **knows** a priori which language a given IDN is using.
>
> so if DNS is global, and the same differences in spelling are allowed
> for allow labels (regardless of whether those accents are considered
> significant or not in the language in which the label is written)
> which local language's spelling conventions should govern the global
> rules for registration of labels?  should it be one in which accents
> are significant or one in which the accents are optional?

I don't think that we should choose between languages, but find a way to
let any language benefit from the available features of the IDN
functionality. The most obvious way is to preserve as much information
from the word as possible, and let the human (brain) decide how to
use/filter the extra information.

As I keep saying: Just because a letter (or accent) is optional does not
mean that we can remove it - if we remove it we also ought to prevent
words with the same meaning from being used (one of those could also be
called "optional")!

--
Regards,
  Martin Djernæs

Martin Djernæs                    martin.djernaes@kecam-han.de
Dipl.-Ing.
Alcatel Kommunikations-Elektronik GmbH Tel:+49 (0511) 6747 741
Postfach 3246                          Fax:+49 (0511) 6747 777
30032 Hannover, Germany                http://www.ke-online.de