Re: [Fwd: Re: [idn] Unicode tagging]

At 18:25 18/08/00, Brian Wellington wrote:

>(this message was just forwarded to me, so sorry if I missed something.)

I was being deliberately high-level, not trying to tell
folks how the gory details are implemented.

>KEY records are not associated with any other records.  The way a KEY
>record is classified as a user key is by setting the appropriate flags in
>the KEY record's "flags" field.  I've never heard of any connection
>between users' keys and MB records.

The IPsec key management schema requires that MB records be supported
in the DNS for user-oriented key management to scale.  At least one
IPsec implementation uses them.  I'm also being deliberately high-level
here, so quibbles about details in this explanation will be ignored by
me.  The crypto just isn't interesting to the IDN list.

If there are further questions, we ought to take this OFF the IDN
list.  The bottom line for IDN is simple -- MB records MUST continue
to work.  MB records include hostnames/domainnames as a component
of the data element.

Ran
rja@inet.org

Ran