Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

> >> But one example of being fair is that
> >> if 63 characters are allowed using ASCII, 63 characters must also be
> >> allowed using ISO 8859-1 (or other latinbased character sets).
> >> When we use UTF-8, the protocol will have space for more ASCII characters
> >> than ISO 8859-1 characters. To be fair, ASCII must still be restricted
> >> to 63 characters even if the protocol have space for more.
> >> This restriction is also very important for implementors.
>
>         This proposal would completely hose languages with lots
> of diacritical marks present on a single "letter", such as Vietnamese.
> So I object strenuously.

I think the basic idea is that labels should not be significantly
more restricted in one language than another just because the on-the-wire
representation of certain languages might take up more space than others.

But I don't know how to define a length limit that applies across all
languages and is fair to all of them.  Maybe we just need to make sure
that the on-the-wire representation of labels is large enough to
accomodate reasonably-long labels in any language.

Keith