[idn] Localization: requirements [18], [19], and [20]

>2.3 Localization
>
>[18] The service should be able to handle localized requirements of
>different languages. For example, IDN must be able to handle
>bi-directional writing for scripts such as Arabic.
>
>[19] Historically, "." has been the separator of labels in the host
>names. The service should not use different separators for different
>languages.
>
>[20] Most of the localization work could be handled by the user
>interface. It should not matter how the domain names are input or
>presented, such as in a reverse order or bi-directional, or with the
>introduction of a new separator. However, the final wire format must be
>in canonical order.

These requirements are about display, not localization.

[18] is about features of some scripts (*not* languages) that might
not be supported in all display devices. However, there is nothing
"local" about bi-directional writing.

[19] is also about display because the "." is used in the application
service layer only, not on the wire.

[20] doesn't contain a requirement.

I propose that this section header be dropped and the three
requirements be replaced with a single one:

The protocol should not place any restrictions on the application
service layer. It should only specify changes in the DNS service
layer and within the DNS itself.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium