RE: [idn] final rev of charter

Title: RE: [idn] final rev of charter

Paul,

Your points are all well taken, (yes our company's proposal has flaws and I am working with them to see what we can do) and since my voice is a new one to this group, I am afraid that I did not make my point as clear as I would have liked.

In my last paragraph I stated:
>This does not mean that we should jump into something with[out]
>looking at all the ramifications, but that we should work for a
>middle ground that will give as a workable solution as
>aggressively as possible.

What I was trying to say was that we should not rush into this and put something out next month that most likely have flaws, but I am hoping that we might be able to re-look at the schedule and see if there is any place we can reduce the time to create the standard with out causing any problems for end-users.

IMHO, it always seems that the amount of work needed to complete a task grows or contracts to fill the time allocated for that task. 8^)>

at 8:32 AM -0700 6/16/2000 Paul Hoffman wrote:
>This happens all the time. Sometimes it is helpful, but more often
>it is harmful to end users. Fortunately, many of the companies who
>are participating in this joint effort are showing corporate
>restraint by not deploying the first thing that pops into their
>head. It would be very bad if a company destroys the usability of
>the primary naming mechanism on the Internet just for a quick
>profit.

I hope this holds true.  My concern is that I already see international Domain Name solutions being advertised on the net to governments and end-users.  Even by some companies participating in this effort.  I would hope that they are all as committed to the benefit of the end-user as you are.

Thank-you again for sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.  I look forward to working with you and the others to achieving our goal truly international Domain Names.

Regards, Russ (rrolfe)