RE: [idn] final rev of charter

I totally agree with this view.  Actually, I think we (IDN) are in a far
better (i.e. fortunate) situation in that there are many different
proposals about to come out and be discussed on the equal ground; i.e.
none is challenging the pre-established standard.

IMHO, the most important thing is to have a well-ground (as much as
possible) standard, although it means some degree of delay.  It is (to
some degree) true that the current Internet is driven by the consumer's
demand, but it should not prevent the smallest bit of initial discussion
on standard proposals, because once a proposal has been selected as a
standard, it becomes much harder to beat it out regardless how poisonous
it would turn out to be (as we saw in other fields of Internet).

One may argue that we can continuously evolve the standard, but it
simply wouldn't happen.  Companies with pre-existing implementation
certainly don't want to see the standard changing too often, and if it
does they will simply derive their own interpretation of, or `extension'
to the standard on their own.  And this kind of individual change can
propagate through other implementors as well, if its originator has
enough influences on them.  Result: a total disaster, because a standard
is meaningful only if the major portion of the implementors (in terms of
how many people will use their implementation) adhere to it.

I don't want to see the same mistake repeated, and am sure others will
share the same thought as well.

Regards,
Eugene Kim

--
Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.com>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."