Re: [idn] Registration Policies

At 13:23 22.05.2000 -0700, Alabbar wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Please let me know if this question has already been discussed or is out of
>the scope of this
>working group.  Essentially, I am investigating the issue of multiple
>registrars registering the
>same multilingual domain name.  With the current 6-8 competitors out there
>doing multilingual domain
>registration without a *centralized* controller, I am concerned about the
>same name being registered
>multiple times.

It will be, for certain.

>   What attention has been paid to this issue?

A lot of worry has been expressed.

>  How do the
>existing registrars plan on
>resolving conflicts over names that have already been registered?  How can
>we reduce the chances of
>this happening *today* so we don't have to refund lots of money
>(potentially) in the future to a lot
>of disgruntled customers?

Registrar policy is out of scope for the IETF working group, but some of
the competitors are part of the effort to establish a Multilingual Internet
Names Consortium (MINC), which intends to have this on their list of things
to do.

See http://www.minc.org/

It is not yet clear how this relates to ICANN (http://www.icann.org/),
which already has had worry expressed in its Domain Name Supporting
Organization (http://www.dnso.org)

                        Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no